Thursday, September 03, 2009

Angel González, Muerte en el olvido, translated into English

Death in the forgetfulness

I know that I exist because you imagine me.
I am tall because you believe I am tall,
and I am clean because you watch me with your good eyes,
with your clean glance.
Your thought makes me intelligent,
and in your simple tenderness,
I am also simple and kind.

But if you forget me
I will be dead and nobody will know it.
They will see that my flesh lives
but that will be another man - dark, clumsy, bad-
the one that inhabits it.

_____

Muerte en el olvido


Yo sé que existo porque tú me imaginas.
Soy alto porque tú me crees alto,
y limpio porque tú me miras con buenos ojos,
con mirada limpia.
Tu pensamiento me hace inteligente,
y en tu sencilla ternura,
yo soy también sencillo y bondadoso.
Pero si tú me olvidas
quedaré muerto sin que nadie lo sepa.
Verán viva mi carne,
pero será otro hombre -oscuro, torpe, malo-
el que la habita...

Ángel González

No comments: